Wednesday 3 October 2012

PPD3 - Lists from tutorial 1

5

Things you didn't know before the summer break that you know now?

1 - The difference between digital holograms and analogue holograms. This is very specific but it is something new that I have learnt from doing a work placement with my Dad, Peter Crosby, at View Holographics.

2 - That there is more to the design industry than what is already in the UK. I was in Wales working for View Holographics and the local design studios take on work that is welsh as well as english. Also, I learnt from Yaf, Eddie and Chris about the opportunities and studios which are out there in the rest of Europe.

3 - Having an online portfolio is a crucial thing to have. When Manachain (from Monk bar) asked me for a portfolio I didn't have one so I had to put one together quite swiftly. In a way it was a good thing because it really gave me the push to start it properly and move on from the Tumblr account and onto Cargo which really showcases your projects.

4 - 3rd year isn't so scary. I was incredibly anxious about coming back into level 6, I was worried about the work load, not being able to see friends, going on studio visits, getting the work I want to do done etc etc. But now I'm here at level 6 I'm finding it's really quite enjoyable and I'm doing some briefs that I'm really excited about and are well developed. It's much different to the feelings I had at the start of level 5.

5 - I'm dyslexic. I went through the dyslexia screening tests towards the end of last year and over summer I was declared dyslexic and that I was entitled to the support and equipment. Probably the best decision I made really as I have a laptop know and it makes it so much easier to get on with work, especially blogging. On top of this its portable so I'll be able to work on the go when I go to visit clients or go home or visit studios that aren't in Leeds.



Things you would address differently than you did this summer?

1 - I would have treated each day like it was my job and have a routine of spending an hour researching for inspiration, an hour researching for my dissertation/reading for my dissertation and an hour updating my online presence.

2 - I would have been more persistent with contacting studios and getting studio visits.

3 - I would have done more digital illustrations with my tablet.

4 - I would have stayed at home for longer instead of coming back to Leeds at the start of July to work as I didn't get enough shifts and it would have been cheaper for me and i could have focussed on getting more work done.

5 - I would have visited more places and taken more photos.



Specific things you will address this semester that should be useful?

1 - Invoicing a client and working out how much I should be getting paid.

2 - Getting a balance between research and designing.

3 - Business set up and where do you start and what things will I have to consider in order to create a successful and sustainable business in retail.

4 - Social networking and self promotion for both my own portfolio and online presence and for my clothing label.

5 - Presentation of my work. I think I let myself down a lot when it comes to submission. My photography doesn't reach it's full potential and I have struggled with using grids on digital submissions.



Things you feel we could address as a group?

1 - Interviews, do they happen often in the design industry or is it mostly based on your previous work? If interviews are still common I think it would be good to go over what sort of things we might get asked about and the things the interviewer would want to hear.

2 - Management and finance, weather it's being a freelancer or setting up a studio or a business. We've already touched on the subject but I think it would be really useful to look into it in a greater depth. Maybe even a workshop would be a good way to learn more.

3 - Organising group studio visits within the 3rd year.

4 - Organising a 3rd year exhibition to showcase some of our work in the LCA gallery space or externally with another gallery space.

5 - The most effective ways to promote our online presences e.g. social networks, online portfolios, what not to say and do/what should we say and do.



Things you feel we have not looked at in PPD you personally would like to address?

1 - When you set up a business with someone, how do you decide how to split the costs and earnings? Is it based on the input from each party? Who came up with the ideas? Who put the funding into it?

2 - what is the best way to invoice/ask for payment from a client? (do you just bluntly ask them because I feel quite awkward asking for payment)

3 - I hate confrontation and disagreement, how do you go about resolving an issue where the client wants something that you really don't like or you think wont work as well?

4 - Handling online payments and shipping good out to countries abroad. Because I'm starting a business in retail I need to know more about how to send the clothes to customers that could be buying from all over the world.

5 - Getting in touch with big retail warehouses who produce large orders of clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment