Wednesday 16 November 2011

'GOOD IS' - Final Crit.

This crit ran much like the others have done for this module only the work we were presenting was the mock ups of our 5 presentation boards.

I had little content to use my boards after the last crit so It was a little rushed to put together, and in so printing them off they came out black and white instead of the colour printer which I had sent it to. This wasn't too much of a set back as I still had some older print outs that should my use of colour in my designs.

We went round in groups of six again and each person presented their work in roughly 2 minutes, then after we split into 3 pairs and critiqued the others work.

Here are the boards I presented for the crit.

There are still a lot of blank spaces on the boards however, now I've seen some of the other boards I think I might simplify the and not try to include some much as its over complicating it and making it visually noisy. Some of the blank spaces I filling in by hand and made drawings of ideas or items simply because I'd ran out of time to format them and place them on the boards.


Range - Flea-Shirt, Poster, Flea Cup, Chapinabox, CD, Publication


Packaging - CD case, Chapinabox with cut outs, Flea-Shirt box, Flea cup Box


Promotion - Poster designs and variations, Flyers and variations, Give aways


Publications - Variations of cover art, DPS, layout development, extra content highlighting certain details.


Proposals - Billboards, Laser cut/printed ukulele's, Printed canvas tent or gazeebo for a pop up promotional gig, printed tweed jackets, elbow patches, tea bag hooks that latch onto the edge of your cup.


This is the feedback which I got from the pairs critting my work.

Comment on the extent to which the work presented a clear approach to the research development and resolution of a personal response to the brief.

Comments

Very personal response to the brief!
research could have been a little more in depth,
or more obvious visually in the finals.


Insufficient / satisfactory / Good / Very Good / Excellent


Comment on the extent to which the work presented/proposed demonstrates a critical approach to the investigation of content, audience context. Has this been informed by appropriate levels of contextual research?

Comments

Different take with the band, not sure exactly on the audience?
Colours need to be taken more into consideration, or made clearer.
Need to imply FUN!


Insufficient / satisfactory / Good / Very Good / Excellent


Comment on the appropriateness of the range of products/proposals with regards to their effective and innovative use of print processes, techniques and formats.

Think about promotion of the group - merchandise is good for after they are famous.
Think about the other forms of print.

Insufficient / satisfactory / Good / Very Good / Excellent

 Unfortunately I only got feed back from one of the 2 other pairs but we got a chance to sit down as a full group and go over the feedback and extend it and talk through a few ideas and suggestions to improve and refine the boards and the concept.


Comments

- need to tie it together, simplify it
- use photography on the CD
- focus on the article
- emphasise the fun
- special print processes - foil blocking, embossing
- type foil blocked
- decorative designs foil blocked
- tie products together as a package deal when buying the CD
- gift/tour poster
- either push to emphasise the Ukulele more or change your 'good' to Chaps or Chap Hop
- the P on the the tag line 'Come On Chaps' looks like a D - make the sentence bigger or manipulate the type in some way, maybe change it.


Overall a very average result from the crit which I'm not best pleased about because there is so much to address now on top of my original design plans.
Now I need to re plan again and condense what I'm doing so I'm not biting off more than I can chew, focus it down to the basics of getting the print side of it done properly then the extra design work can come after.

My boards need a lot of work but I think first I will go back to my research and concept and go over what I need to do in order for it to work thoroughly and solidly and as concept and a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment